Guns are equipment that is used for hunting and protection. And like all the other metal, rust is a common issue in guns as well. When metal rusts, we cannot always replace it with something new especially if it is a gun. A gun is not something you can buy now and often.
Thankfully, there are ways by which you can remove rust from your favorite firearm. You can remove rust by following some techniques. In this article, we will try to tell you some useful tips by which you can remove rust from your gun.
What is Rust?
When iron reacts with oxygen, rust forms, it is known as the oxidization process. It is a slow process. If the metal is introduced to salt or water, you will experience rust.
How to Remove Deep Rust
- First of all, you need to disassemble the gun by using a screwdriver and carefully place all the parts that are rusted on a soft cloth.
- After that, apply some gun polishing paste to a soft cloth and rub it on the rusted area of the gun in back and forth direction. You have to apply it in a gentle but firm motion. Wipe off the excess with a clean corner of the cloth.
- Now it’s time to apply a small spray of gun oil to the rusted area of the gun.
- Gently rub the rusted area with steel wool. Rub in a left and right motion for five minutes.
- Now check the rust and repeat the action it requires. Rub it until the rust is eradicated.
- Use a lint-free cloth and rub again on the area.
- Repeat the procedure several times in small increments until the rust is removed completely.
Home Remedy of Electrolysis Removal for Guns
This is one of the most effective and interesting processes for rust removal. It is cost efficient as well. The method works by removing iron oxide with the help of electric charge passing from a battery through the rusted material. The process is easy don’t be offended by the description. Let’s see how you can apply this method effectively:
- Plastic container.
- Steel rod.
- Hammer washing soda.
- Battery charger.
- You need to mix one Tablespoon of washing soda with one gallon of water.
- Carefully place the steel rod in the plastic container. The rod is the positive terminal or the anode
- Connect the cathode to the rusted part and anode to the rod
- Ensure the charger is plugged in
(If everything is okay you will notice bubbles. it is the indication that ensures the process is on progress.)
- Keep it for 3 to 5 hours and then remove the gun parts and wipe with clean cloth. Don’t forget to apply oil.
This process seems complicated, but in reality, it is not. It is super simple. Just check some videos before applying it. The process is highly recommended for brass, aluminum, copper and alloy type of guns.
Ways To Protect Guns From Rust
- Always store the gun in a cool, dry place
- Store your gun on the gun case only if the case is rustproof.
- Regularly clean and wipe your gun
- Avoid salty conditions
That’s all for the rust removal process. See, I told you, it’s not that hard. Few commercially available chemicals in the market can remove rust effectively. But they are not recommended. Those chemicals can even damage your gun.
Why take a risk as you already know who to remove rust without wasting much money? That’s all for now. We will see you soon with other practical tips and tricks. Till then: Stay connected!