Nobody likes the smell of dirty laundry, which is why we depend on great smelling laundry detergent so we can enjoy the rest of our day feeling fresh and clean in our clothes!
A lot of us use fragrant laundry detergent since it lets us know that our clothes are thoroughly washed and those nasty odors are eliminated. Not only do many of us love fresh smelling laundry, but we also love detergent that gets the job done!
So, the next time you’re searching for fragrant laundry detergent, consider some of the best smelling laundry detergents we’ve listed just for you.
Best Smelling Laundry Detergent [Comparisons]
Benefits of the Smelling Laundry Detergent
- You can get rid of set in stains, odors, and rubbed in grime from clothing fabric while leaving a wonderful scent.
- Better smelling detergent means you will enjoy doing the laundry more, which is usually a boring and troublesome chore.
- Fragrant laundry detergents usually work better than unscented detergents.
- A specific scent from your favorite detergent can help you remember which product to buy again in the future.
- You can also make kids’ toys and objects look and smell clean.
Top 10 Best Smelling Laundry Detergent
1. Tide Laundry Detergent Liquid, Original Scent
Tide’s Original Scent HE Turbo cleaning power is definitely something to look for in a good quality laundry detergent. Its original scent is made up of invigorating and fresh aloe and floral aromas that will help in cleaning your family’s clothes and keep them crisp throughout the day.
Tide’s high-efficiency turbo cleaning technology has six times the cleaning power which cuts the time it takes for regular detergent in half.
Tide’s Turbo Clean laundry detergent is a top choice for leading washing machine producers, and unlike a lot of HE compatible detergents that can produce excessive suds and slow down your washing machine, Tide’s turbocharged formula breaks down suds and concentrates on stubborn stains.
This detergent comes with two 50 fluid ounce bottles that equal up to 32 loads.
- Contains biodegradable ingredients for an Eco-friendly detergent option
- Smell is very pleasant and subtle, effective enough to combat bad odors from dirty laundry
- Effectively gets rid of stains such as sweat, juice, coffee, etc.
- May not prove to be as effective on set-in stains
- Some might want a stronger smell
2. Puracy Liquid Laundry Detergent – Plant-Based for Sensitive Skin
The Puracy Liquid Laundry Detergent is here to clean every mess from your clothes like a true champion. It is a proven liquid detergent and every user is highly pleased with the performance.
The Puracy Liquid Laundry Detergent is made in the USA with safe skin material. There are no chemicals, phosphates, sulfates, petrochemicals, chlorine, perfumes, gluten, tree nut-based ingredients included in the detergent.
For sensitive skin and allergy sufferers, it is an ideal option. It will never play with your skin. They used safe and effective plant-powered formula for delicate and dark clothing, microfiber towels, cloth diapers, septic, and the greywater system.
The price of the product is not prohibitive as well. Just try it once, I am sure you will not leave it ever again. One of the most amazing detergent out there for performance and price.
- Produce a refreshing smell
- Made of safe and plant-powered ingredients
- Effective on almost every type of fabrics
- Made in the USA
- No harsh chemicals included
- The bottle leaks sometimes
- The bottle is not strongly constructed
3. Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze Laundry Detergent Packs
These convenient laundry detergent pods come in packs of 81, and when in use, they release an amazing Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze fragrance like a breath of fresh air on a moonlight walk.
Gain flings are easy to use and add 50% more scent to your clothes and to your laundry room. Their powerful Oxi-boost technology fights stains while removing smelly odors and stains with the additional technology of Febreze so your clothes are left clean with a great scent.
The Moonlight Breeze scent from the small yet effective packs can last for up to a week and can bring a lot of convenience to the already pesky task of doing laundry.
They’re also a pretty handy alternative for those who don’t like dealing with awkward and heavy detergent bottles.
- Packs contain 50% more fragrance than normal Gain detergent
- Fresh smell lasts through wearing and storing
- Ready-to-use packs prove extremely convenient
- Effective at washing clothes and removing stains
- One of the more expensive options
- Pack may not entirely dissolve sometimes
4. Dreft Stage 1: Newborn Hypoallergenic Liquid Baby Laundry Detergent
The Dreft Stage 1 is another effective Liquid Baby Laundry Detergent of the present time. It is specially made for baby, newborns or infants. The detergent is made of high-quality baby-friendly material. It will never harm the sensitive skin of your baby.
The detergent has the method to clean stubborn stains quite effectively while it is gentle on the baby’s skin. The detergent is made in a way so that it can work effectively in high efficiency and standard washing machines.
The smell it produces is refreshing and that the smell is way too much strong. It actually depends on the taste of an individual.
You should know your preference before picking this detergent. Apart from the smell issue, this detergent has no other issue. The price is also reasonable.
- Works perfectly with standard and high-efficiency washing machine
- Designed to work with delicate baby skin
- Made of baby-friendly materials
- Can easily remove tough stains from clothes
- Not everyone likes the heavy floral scent
- Not recommended for those who have eczema
5. Tide Mountain Spring HE Turbo Powder Laundry Detergent
Tough and stuck-on stains are no match for Tide Mountain Spring HE Turbo clean detergent which works vigorously through stains and grime, even those that have been sitting for a week in the laundry basket.
Its special Acti-Lift crystals give this powder detergent six times the cleaning power and wash your laundry in half the time compared to the next leading detergent.
This detergent comes in two packs and has up to 68 loads of laundry, specially designed for HE washing machines and is concentrated with even more stain-fighting power in a smaller box.
You can use 1/3 less detergent than you normally would use and it will still make your clothes smelling like a fresh mountain spring after removing dirt and stains.
- Works well with those that have front loading washing machines
- Smell is enjoyable and removes stains well
- Doesn’t leave any clumps on clothes
- Powder may not dissolve all the way if a machine is set at low speed
- Not made of all organic ingredients, so not recommended for sensitive skin
6. Gain Flings Original
Much like its sister product, Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze, Gain Flings Original releases 50% more fragrance with the odor-fighting power of Febreze.
These ready-to-use detergent pods attack tough stains and grime with Oxi-boost technology, and they’re able to dissolve in hot or cold temperature water leaving your clothes smelling clean and ready to wear all day.
The aroma capsules are the reason behind the Flings’ wonderful and lasting scent, so you can enjoy doing the laundry while your laundry room and clothes are filled with the smell of Gain’s refreshing original scent.
You’ll find that Gain Flings can brighten your whites and protect your colors thanks to the cleaning power they provide, and best of all, you don’t have to do any tricky measuring or pouring.
- Easy and simple to use, convenient alternative to liquid and powder detergents
- Works with a single pod
- Smell lasts after washing
- Stain fighting isn’t too effective but gets most of them out
- Packs may not entirely dissolve
- Smell may be a bit strong for some
7. Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder
Because it doesn’t hurt to be environmentally conscious, Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder ingredients that are biodegradable and has up to 100 medium laundry loads.
Due to its natural ingredients, it has a smaller chance of irritating the skin compared to regular scented detergents, and its hypoallergenic formula means it’s safe to use on children’s’ clothes and for those with sensitive skin.
Charlie’s Soap is non-toxic and non-GMO, making it harmless to the environment and will leave your clothes spotless and clean (not to mention that it doubles as a cleaning product for things other than clothes).
This detergent has a very subtle scent since it’s not common for eco-friendly detergents to have synthetic fragrances, so you won’t really notice a strong scent when washing your laundry.
- Great to use for those with sensitive skin
- Is ideal if you don’t like strong fragrant detergents
- Best baby detergent for clothes
- Excellent cleaning power
- Can cause blotchy bleach-like spots
- Packaging is floppy and prone to spilling
- Might require a larger dose than recommended
8. Purex Mountain Breeze Liquid Laundry Detergent
The active stain-fighting ingredient in Purex Mountain Breeze Liquid Laundry Detergent keeps your laundry clean throughout the day. Purex is one of the most common detergent brands and is used in many homes, making it great for everyday use with up to 200 loads in one bottle.
You can enjoy the gentle smell of a fresh mountain breeze as Purex liquid laundry detergent makes your whites brighter and protects your colors and darks.
This detergent is compatible with both HE washers and standard washers, additionally being safe to use with septic tanks and doesn’t contain any phosphates. For stains that have been set in, you can use Purex liquid detergent to pretreat stains before washing your clothes to effectively remove it after washing.
- Lovely mountain breeze scent lasts through the day or a week in storage
- Great for those on a budget
- Effectively fights stains and dirt
- Large bottle can be awkward to use
- Load size lines in the cap are not very visible
- Not hypoallergenic, so not ideal for sensitive skin
9. Seventh Generation Geranium Blossom & Vanilla Laundry Detergent
With four times the concentrated biodegradable formula, Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent powers through a set in stains and troublesome dirt without using any synthetic fragrances, dyes, or artificial brighteners.
You can enjoy having your clothes smell like the natural aroma of geranium blossoms and vanilla made from 100% botanical oils and extracts, which is practical for sensitive skin.
96% of Seventh Generation’s natural and Eco-friendly formula is made with botanical plant-based ingredients and is hypoallergenic which makes it safe to use around kids and on kids’ clothes.
This USDA certified multiple enzyme detergent contains up to 53 laundry loads if using medium doses and can deliver the same amount of loads that a regular 80-ounce laundry detergent bottle.
- Subtle geranium scent but doesn’t irritate the skin
- Gentle enough to use on kids’ clothes and toys
- Powerful formula eliminates stains and dirt
- Not ideal for those who depend on the smell factor of detergent
- Can produce excessive suds with a normal dose
- May go through product rather quickly even with the recommended dose
10. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent
Being a brand that believes in the natural ways of cleaning, 97% of Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Laundry Detergent comes from natural plant extracts which include surfactants and enzymes.
The detergent’s concentrated formula makes it a strong cleaner but is still gentle enough to use on clothes and is safe on skin, not to mention it’s compatible with high-efficiency washing machines.
Meyer’s Clean Day detergent’s fragrances are made from a combination of natural and high-quality essential oils that are tough on dirt while harmless to the environment. The aromatherapeutic lavender scent can soothe you as you’re doing the laundry and will make your clothes smell like freshly cut lavender plants.
There are up to 68 loads per bottle with single teaspoon recommended per load, and it’s great for use on HE and conventional washing machines.
- Won’t harm those with allergies and sensitive skin
- A little goes a long way
- Environmentally friendly and great stain pre-treater
- A bottle doesn’t have a spout, so prone to dripping
- No, handle on the container so pouring is difficult
11. Arm & Hammer 33200-00106 Dual HE Liquid Laundry Detergent
Known as an old and trusted brand, this Arm and Hammer Dual HE detergent is compatible with all machines, including those that are high-efficiency.
Its formula is specially designed to powerfully clean and eliminate any dirt, odors, and tough set-in stains and will leave your clothes smelling fresh when you take them out of the dryer. One bottle of this Arm and Hammer detergent is enough to last up to 140 loads and is safe to use for septic tanks.
There are special agents in the detergent that trap dirt in the washing water so it will rinse away entirely and won’t reappear on your clothing.
The crisp and clean burst scent lasts for a long time after washing so you can enjoy fresh laundry until your next laundry day. The bottle itself comes with both a faucet valve and a simple tilt-and-pour spout.
- Smell lasts even after washing
- Makes whites noticeably brighter
- Works well with all machines
- Inconvenient container design has potential for leakage
- Smell can be strong and overwhelming for those sensitive to scent
12. Method Lavender Cedar Laundry Detergent
Method Naturally Derived 8X laundry detergent comes in a unique pump bottle and contains up to 75 loads of laundry. For the environmentally conscious, its formula is mostly made of plant-based ingredients and is ultra-concentrated for maximum cleaning power.
Method’s smart cleaning technology is made to wash out stubborn stains and dirt while giving your clothes a fresh air aroma.
The convenient pump design makes the detergent easy to use without worrying about a huge mess, not to mention there’ll be less waste and spillage. With just ¼ of a recommended dose compared to the leading brand, it’s safe to use in HE washing machines, and because of its size, it doesn’t take up a ton of space like large liquid detergent bottles do.
- Easy and convenient pump bottle for mess-free and less wasteful use
- Can use in HE washers and smells great
- 95% plant-based ingredients and is biodegradable
- Pump only works when the bottle is vertical, so tricky for detergent compartments on top of washers
- Pump can get stuck or sticky
13. Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer
The Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer is your way to heaven with a beautiful smell and fantastic cleaning performance. The detergent is so effective. Only one tablespoon of funk rock is fair enough to eliminate stinky build-up and keep it from coming back.
In case you need a deep cleaning solution, use a couple of tablespoon of Funk Rock Ammonia bouncer powder in the water you will experience the magic. The detergent is made of risk-free natural material. It is actually plant-based without any phosphates, parabens, optical brightener,s or any artificial fragrances.
The detergent is able to provide deep cleaning to your entire family. It can even clean the skinniest thing like a true champ.
The slogan of the brand is ‘we can all do our part to make the Earth a better place,’ and they actually did it with this amazing detergent. The price is not prohibitive. Give it a try you will never regret.
- Made without any harmful material
- Ideal for skin
- Offers deep cleaning performance
- The smell is beautiful, but not everyone loves the smell
- Not very effective too with clothing that has oil stains
14. Grab Green Natural 3 in 1 Laundry Detergent Pods
The Grab Green Laundry Detergent is another excellent option for everyone. The detergent is not made with harmful chemicals or materials like phosphates, phthalates, chlorine, animal byproducts, toxins, dyes or masking agents. Meaning, it is completely safe for the skin.
The item is naturally-derived and made in the USA with domestic & imported components. It is a superior detergent without any harmful material. It can clean and remove like a true champion.
The fragrance is it provides calm and soothing. You will surely love it.
The price of the product is not that much. Overall, it is one of the best smelling laundry detergents in the market in terms of smell and cleaning performance. Give it a try you will love it for sure.
- Made of skin-friendly materials
- No chemicals or harmful elements used to make it
- Offers deep cleaning performance
- Not highly effective in stain removing
How to Choose the Best Smelling Laundry Detergent
Picking the right laundry detergent is not as easy task as it assumes. You have to consider a hell lot of facts in order to get the right one. Besides, the preference of everyone is different. In the following lines, I will say something important so that you can pick the right one according to your need.
Laundry detergent is available in different types. Mostly the powder and liquid types are used all over the world. Let me show you the positive and negative side of both the type so that you can pick one effectively.
Powered: Those types are widely popular due to some practical facts. You can measure them easily, and they are less expensive. Let’s see the positive and negative side quickly:
- Less expensive
- Dissolve very fast
- Easy to measure and use
- Must store them away from water
- They clump in damp areas
Liquid: Those are way more powerful than powered detergents and also pricey. They come in concentrated versions, so they need less amount in washing. Those are amazing for big loads.
- Offers strong perfume
- Deep cleaning solution
- Ideal for big loads
- A bit more expensive
Now, you have to decide according to your preference. Both the type has their own pros and cons. You have to pick the one that will suit your need. That’s the idea.
Apart from types, you should consider a few other facts seriously. The question is what makes a detergent ideal? To know read the following lines carefully:
Bleach and Boosters
The detergent must have enrichment of bleaching agents and boosters for deep cleaning performance. Bleach provides strong cleaning performance without affecting the color of clothes. Boosters improve the functional ability of the detergent. If the booster is with an odor elimination technology, it will be more effective in the long run.
Fabric and Water Softeners
The detergent must have the ability to soften the elements in water and also the fabric. It simplifies the cleaning process. If the cleaner has that two elements the clothes will keep healthy.
Without odor technology, you will never experience those bad smells.
Know about the materials seriously. Know, whether they will provide any effect on your skin or not. If the material is not safe for the skin, you should never try pick it. Detergent that can remove stains and smell comes with harmful materials often. Ignore them in the first place. You will find a lot of products that are naturally made without any harmful chemicals.
Cleaning ability is another essential aspect to consider. If the detergent can’t clean properly, what will the purpose have it? Most of the above best-smelling laundry detergent on our list are effective in this. They are not harmful, yet the can clean like a true champion. You can pick one from the above.
Basic Cleaning Abilities
Ultimately, you want a good fragranced laundry detergent that can:
- Effectively clean clothing
- Brighten your whites and colors
- Get rid of fresh or set-in stains
- Dissolve thoroughly in cold or hot water
- Not irritate or harm sensitive skin
If you buy a scented laundry detergent that doesn’t do all of these things, perhaps you should consider another product.
Which Type of Detergent Works Best for You?
There are three main types of laundry detergent: liquid, powder, and pods.
Liquid detergent is effective for pre-treating stains and works on a simple measure-and-pour system.
Powdered detergent is especially great on really tough stains and dirt and is slightly cheaper than most liquid detergents. It dissolves easily in cold and hot water and proves to be less of a sticky mess than liquid detergent.
Detergent pods are readily packaged dissolvable packets meant for single-use doses, usually made with two compartments full of detergent and fragrance.
They’re very convenient and user-friendly, also being less messy than liquid and powder detergent, but you should keep in mind that pods can be more on the expensive side.
Factors to Think About
Make sure that your detergent is compatible with your washing machine. For example, high-efficiency detergent works with high-efficiency machines.
There are some detergents that work best at certain water temperatures, so be sure to check what temperature water is better suited for you desired detergent.
Because most fragranced laundry detergents can have synthetic ingredients, mind that you don’t have a sensitivity and can break out easily. Eco-friendly detergents are free from such synthetic chemicals.
Depending on how often you do the laundry, make sure you select a size that gives you the most for your money.
Lastly, there are many different scents in detergents designed to make your clothes smelling pleasant, so you should choose a detergent with a fragrance that’s not too strong but is enough to tell that your clothes are clean.
Helpful Laundry Tips & Tricks! Simple & Fresh Laundry Ideas
It all boils down to which detergent smells the best according to popular opinion and which is the most effective in eliminating dirt and odor. Of all the mentioned products, it seems the best smelling laundry detergent is Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent.
Its 4X concentrated biodegradable formula fights stains, it doesn’t contain any synthetic fragrances or dyes, its scents are from 100% botanical oils and extracts, and it’s EPA Safer Choice certified.
You can feel good about using this detergent on you and your children’s clothes and those with sensitive skin while smelling fresh and enjoying your laundry day.