Nobody likes the smell of dirty laundry, which is why we depend on great smelling laundry detergent so we can enjoy the rest of our day feeling fresh and clean in our clothes!
A lot of us use fragrant laundry detergent since it lets us know that our clothes are thoroughly washed and those nasty odors are eliminated. Not only do many of us love fresh smelling laundry, but we also love detergent that gets the job done!
So, the next time you’re searching for fragrant laundry detergent, consider some of the best smelling laundry detergents we’ve listed just for you.
Benefits of the Best Smelling Laundry Detergent
- You can get rid of set in stains, odors, and rubbed in grime from clothing fabric while leaving a wonderful scent.
- Better smelling detergent means you will enjoy doing the laundry more, which is usually a boring and troublesome chore.
- Fragrant laundry detergents usually work better than unscented detergents.
- A specific scent from your favorite detergent can help you remember which product to buy again in the future.
- You can also make kids’ toys and objects look and smell clean.
Top 10 Best Smelling Laundry Detergent
Tide Original Scent HE Turbo Clean Liquid Laundry Detergent
Tide’s Original Scent HE Turbo cleaning power is definitely something to look for in a good quality laundry detergent. Its original scent is made up of invigorating and fresh aloe and floral aromas that will help in cleaning your family’s clothes and keep them crisp throughout the day.
Tide’s high-efficiency turbo cleaning technology has six times the cleaning power which cuts the time it takes for regular detergent in half.
Tide’s Turbo Clean laundry detergent is a top choice for leading washing machine producers, and unlike a lot of HE compatible detergents that can produce excessive suds and slow down your washing machine, Tide’s turbocharged formula breaks down suds and concentrates on stubborn stains.
This detergent comes with two 50 fluid ounce bottles that equal up to 32 loads.
- Contains biodegradable ingredients for an Eco-friendly detergent option
- Smell is very pleasant and subtle, effective enough to combat bad odors from dirty laundry
- Effectively gets rid of stains such as sweat, juice, coffee, etc.
- May not prove to be as effective on set-in stains
- Some might want a stronger smell
Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze Laundry Detergent Packs
These convenient laundry detergent pods come in packs of 81, and when in use, they release an amazing Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze fragrance like a breath of fresh air on a moonlight walk.
Gain flings are easy to use and add 50% more scent to your clothes and to your laundry room. Their powerful Oxi-boost technology fights stains while removing smelly odors and stains with the additional technology of Febreze so your clothes are left clean with a great scent.
The Moonlight Breeze scent from the small yet effective packs can last for up to a week and can bring a lot of convenience to the already pesky task of doing laundry.
They’re also a pretty handy alternative for those who don’t like dealing with awkward and heavy detergent bottles.
- Packs contain 50% more fragrance than normal Gain detergent
- Fresh smell lasts through wearing and storing
- Ready-to-use packs prove extremely convenient
- Effective at washing clothes and removing stains
- One of the more expensive options
- Pack may not entirely dissolve sometimes
Tide Mountain Spring HE Turbo Powder Laundry Detergent
Tough and stuck-on stains are no match for Tide Mountain Spring HE Turbo clean detergent which works vigorously through stains and grime, even those that have been sitting for a week in the laundry basket.
Its special Acti-Lift crystals give this powder detergent six times the cleaning power and wash your laundry in half the time compared to the next leading detergent.
This detergent comes in two packs and has up to 68 loads of laundry, specially designed for HE washing machines and is concentrated with even more stain-fighting power in a smaller box.
You can use 1/3 less detergent than you normally would use and it will still make your clothes smelling like a fresh mountain spring after removing dirt and stains.
- Works well with those that have front loading washing machines
- Smell is enjoyable and removes stains well
- Doesn’t leave any clumps on clothes
- Powder may not dissolve all the way if a machine is set at low speed
- Not made of all organic ingredients, so not recommended for sensitive skin
Gain Flings Original
Much like its sister product, Gain Flings Moonlight Breeze, Gain Flings Original releases 50% more fragrance with the odor-fighting power of Febreze.
These ready-to-use detergent pods attack tough stains and grime with Oxi-boost technology, and they’re able to dissolve in hot or cold temperature water leaving your clothes smelling clean and ready to wear all day.
The aroma capsules are the reason behind the Flings’ wonderful and lasting scent, so you can enjoy doing the laundry while your laundry room and clothes are filled with the smell of Gain’s refreshing original scent.
You’ll find that Gain Flings can brighten your whites and protect your colors thanks to the cleaning power they provide, and best of all, you don’t have to do any tricky measuring or pouring.
- Easy and simple to use, convenient alternative to liquid and powder detergents
- Works with a single pod
- Smell lasts after washing
- Stain fighting isn’t too effective but gets most of them out
- Packs may not entirely dissolve
- Smell may be a bit strong for some
Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder
Because it doesn’t hurt to be environmentally conscious, Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder ingredients that are biodegradable and has up to 100 medium laundry loads.
Due to its natural ingredients, it has a smaller chance of irritating the skin compared to regular scented detergents, and its hypoallergenic formula means it’s safe to use on children’s’ clothes and for those with sensitive skin.
Charlie’s Soap is non-toxic and non-GMO, making it harmless to the environment and will leave your clothes spotless and clean (not to mention that it doubles as a cleaning product for things other than clothes).
This detergent has a very subtle scent since it’s not common for eco-friendly detergents to have synthetic fragrances, so you won’t really notice a strong scent when washing your laundry.
- Great to use for those with sensitive skin
- Is ideal if you don’t like strong fragrant detergents
- Best baby detergent for clothes
- Excellent cleaning power
- Can cause blotchy bleach-like spots
- Packaging is floppy and prone to spilling
- Might require a larger dose than recommended
Purex Mountain Breeze Liquid Laundry Detergent
The active stain-fighting ingredient in Purex Mountain Breeze Liquid Laundry Detergent keeps your laundry clean throughout the day. Purex is one of the most common detergent brands and is used in many homes, making it great for everyday use with up to 200 loads in one bottle.
You can enjoy the gentle smell of a fresh mountain breeze as Purex liquid laundry detergent makes your whites brighter and protects your colors and darks.
This detergent is compatible with both HE washers and standard washers, additionally being safe to use with septic tanks and doesn’t contain any phosphates. For stains that have been set in, you can use Purex liquid detergent to pretreat stains before washing your clothes to effectively remove it after washing.
- Lovely mountain breeze scent lasts through the day or a week in storage
- Great for those on a budget
- Effectively fights stains and dirt
- Large bottle can be awkward to use
- Load size lines in cap are not very visible
- Not hypoallergenic, so not ideal for sensitive skin
Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent
With four times the concentrated biodegradable formula, Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent powers through a set in stains and troublesome dirt without using any synthetic fragrances, dyes, or artificial brighteners.
You can enjoy having your clothes smell like the natural aroma of geranium blossoms and vanilla made from 100% botanical oils and extracts, which is practical for sensitive skin.
96% of Seventh Generation’s natural and Eco-friendly formula is made with botanical plant-based ingredients and is hypoallergenic which makes it safe to use around kids and on kids’ clothes.
This USDA certified multiple enzyme detergents contains up to 53 laundry loads if using medium doses and can deliver the same amount of loads that a regular 80-ounce laundry detergent bottle.
- Subtle geranium scent but doesn’t irritate the skin
- Gentle enough to use on kids’ clothes and toys
- Powerful formula eliminates stains and dirt
- Not ideal for those who depend on the smell factor of detergent
- Can produce excessive suds with normal dose
- May go through product rather quickly even with the recommended dose
Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent
Being a brand that believes in the natural ways of cleaning, 97% of Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Laundry Detergent comes from natural plant extracts which include surfactants and enzymes.
The detergent’s concentrated formula makes it a strong cleaner but is still gentle enough to use on clothes and is safe on skin, not to mention it’s compatible with high-efficiency washing machines.
Meyer’s Clean Day detergent’s fragrances are made from a combination of natural and high-quality essential oils that are tough on dirt while harmless to the environment. The aromatherapeutic lavender scent can soothe you as you’re doing the laundry and will make your clothes smell like freshly cut lavender plants.
There are up to 68 loads per bottle with single teaspoon recommended per load, and it’s great for use on HE and conventional washing machines.
- Won’t harm those with allergies and sensitive skin
- A little goes a long way
- Environmentally friendly and great stain pre-treater
- A bottle doesn’t have a spout, so prone to dripping
- No, handle on the container so pouring is difficult
Arm and Hammer Dual HE Clean-Burst Liquid Laundry Detergent
Known as an old and trusted brand, this Arm and Hammer Dual HE detergent is compatible with all machines, including those that are high-efficiency.
Its formula is specially designed to powerfully clean and eliminate any dirt, odors, and tough set-in stains and will leave your clothes smelling fresh when you take them out of the dryer. One bottle of this Arm and Hammer detergent is enough to last up to 140 loads and is safe to use for septic tanks.
There are special agents in the detergent that trap dirt in the washing water so it will rinse away entirely and won’t reappear on your clothing.
The crisp and clean burst scent lasts for a long time after washing so you can enjoy fresh laundry until your next laundry day. The bottle itself comes with both a faucet valve and a simple tilt-and-pour spout.
- Smell lasts even after washing
- Makes whites noticeably brighter
- Works well with all machines
- Inconvenient container design, has potential for leakage
- Smell can be strong and overwhelming for those sensitive to scent
Method Naturally Derived 8X Concentrated Laundry Detergent
Method Naturally Derived 8X laundry detergent comes in a unique pump bottle and contains up to 75 loads of laundry. For the environmentally conscious, its formula is mostly made of plant-based ingredients and is ultra-concentrated for maximum cleaning power.
Method’s smart cleaning technology is made to wash out stubborn stains and dirt while giving your clothes a fresh air aroma.
The convenient pump design makes the detergent easy to use without worrying about a huge mess, not to mention there’ll be less waste and spillage. With just ¼ of a recommended dose compared to the leading brand, it’s safe to use in HE washing machines, and because of its size, it doesn’t take up a ton of space like large liquid detergent bottles do.
- Easy and convenient pump bottle for mess-free and less wasteful use
- Can use in HE washers and smells great
- 95% plant-based ingredients and is biodegradable
- Pump only works when bottle is vertical, so tricky for detergent compartments on top of washers
- Pump can get stuck or sticky
Things to Consider Before Buying The Best Smelling Laundry Detergent
Basic Cleaning Abilities
Ultimately, you want a good fragranced laundry detergent that can:
- Effectively clean clothing
- Brighten your whites and colors
- Get rid of fresh or set-in stains
- Dissolve thoroughly in cold or hot water
- Not irritate or harm sensitive skin
If you buy a scented laundry detergent that doesn’t do all of these things, perhaps you should consider another product.
Which Type of Detergent Works Best for You?
There are three main types of laundry detergent: liquid, powder, and pods.
Liquid detergent is effective for pre-treating stains and works on a simple measure-and-pour system.
Powdered detergent is especially great on really tough stains and dirt and is slightly cheaper than most liquid detergents. It dissolves easily in cold and hot water and proves to be less of a sticky mess than liquid detergent.
Detergent pods are readily packaged dissolvable packets meant for single-use doses, usually made with two compartments full of detergent and fragrance.
They’re very convenient and user-friendly, also being less messy than liquid and powder detergent, but you should keep in mind that pods can be more on the expensive side.
Factors to Think About
Make sure that your detergent is compatible with your washing machine. For example, high-efficiency detergent works with high-efficiency machines.
There are some detergents that work best at certain water temperatures, so be sure to check what temperature water is better suited for you desired detergent.
Because most fragranced laundry detergents can have synthetic ingredients, mind that you don’t have a sensitivity and can break out easily. Eco-friendly detergents are free from such synthetic chemicals.
Depending on how often you do the laundry, make sure you select a size that gives you the most for your money.
Lastly, there are many different scents in detergents designed to make your clothes smelling pleasant, so you should choose a detergent with a fragrance that’s not too strong but is enough to tell that your clothes are clean.
Helpful Laundry Tips & Tricks! Simple & Fresh Laundry Ideas
It all boils down to which detergent smells the best according to popular opinion and which is the most effective in eliminating dirt and odor. Of all the mentioned products, it seems the best smelling laundry detergent is Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent.
Its 4X concentrated biodegradable formula fights stains, it doesn’t contain any synthetic fragrances or dyes, its scents are from 100% botanical oils and extracts, and it’s EPA Safer Choice certified.
You can feel good about using this detergent on you and your children’s clothes and those with sensitive skin while smelling fresh and enjoying your laundry day.
You May Also Like To Read: